Friday, April 17, 2009

Care for a slice of Swarovski?


Ok, so I may have got a bit carried away with the bling here.... but the long wait is pretty much over now! The Model Horse Blab blue crystal costume is 95% done now. Just need to add the snaffle rein, stirrups and girth... maybe a few tassels here and there, but I think less is more where that is concerned. I based this design after the real showring costumes from Almost Ranch Arabians with the nylon headstall attached to the rest of a double bridle. I did add a seat cover on top of the McClellan saddle to match the rest of the costume.

I also tried a new technique with this set... double wrapped tassels. I had noticed that the real tassels used on several modern arab costumes were tied in two places, creating a sort of small "bulge" in the middle for added interest. I thought it would make a nice departure for me, so I gave it a go. It took twice as long to do each tassel of course, but I'm happy with the results. It is my sincere wish to get better with each tack item I create, so of course there is accute desire to try it again in the future.

I say... the crystals and beads on this piece were expensive! Since I wanted 100% genuine Swarovski, that is. Nothing sparkles and shines like these components. I haven't counted how many I put on, but suffice it to say it was enough ;-) I am really excited to see how this costume does at a show! Of course, the photos do the piece no justice at all... you really have to see it in person for the dazzle effect :)






I tried using the flash to expose the flat backed crystals and make them shine a bit :)

2 comments:

  1. Really pretty! I love the tassels--totally worth the extra effort :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous costume! I love it!

    ReplyDelete